Organic farming is one of the forms of agriculture. It makes use of green manure and crop rotation techniques. It is beneficial in maintaining soil productivity and pest controlling on farms. Use of manufactured fertilizers and pesticides are excluded in organic farming. Plant growth regulators like hormones, food additives, genetically modified organisms, etc are also excluded in this type or farming.
It is more eco-friendly as compared to that of conventional farming. International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements (IFOAM) authority is responsible for regulating organic farming activities worldwide.
We all are aware of the fact that harmful chemicals and artificial fertilizer can prove to be harmful for us if even consumed indirectly through fruits and vegetables. Non-Organic farming makes use of several artificial fertilizers, insecticides, pesticides and growth regulators. Products produced by conventional farming can be dangerous not only for us but is also liable for damaging environment. On the other hand Organic products are produced without any artificial means and are healthy to consume. We all should consume organic foods not only to save our lives but also to make our environment pollution free, clean and green.
This type of farming is all about combining traditional method of farming with modern scientific knowledge to produce environment friendly and healthy agricultural foods.
Methods and materials used in Organic Farming:
To maintain and build good fertility and soil structure:
• Use of compost (animal and plant residues) / recycled animal manures and crop waste
• Correct soil cultivation at correct time
• Crop rotation
Legumes and green manures
For controlling Pests, weeds and diseases:
• Corp choice and cautious planning
• Making use of resistant crops
• Encouraging pest eating predators
• Increasing genetic diversity
• Use of natural pesticides
• Crop rotation
Organic Farming further includes:
• Cautious use of water resources
• Animal Husbandry
Advantages of Organic Farming:
• Reduces soil erosion
• Helpful in maintaining soil fertility
• It is fundamental in supporting the continued existence of wildlife in the lowlands
• Beneficial for dairy industry because cattle grazing on organic farms are less prone to infection or diseases and yield more milk
• Organic food products neither contains any harmful chemicals nor artificial preservatives or flavors
• Because of absence of pesticides and synthetic fertilizers, original nutrition of the agricultural products is maintained
• Reduces the risk of heart diseases
• Delight for taste buds